What’s not to love about a sweet biscuit, juicy strawberries and a huge dollop of whipped cream? Especially after making these cheddar biscuits, I’m super into the biscuit thing now. You can also throw any kind of fruit in with the strawberries or replace them completely. Adding blueberries would be great for Fourth of July!
For the strawberries:
- 2 pounds strawberries rinsed, stems removed, and quartered
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
For the biscuits:
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter plus 1 tablespoon cannabutter cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream divided
For the whipped cream:
- 1 1/2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the strawberries and sugar to a large bowl and toss to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper and heat oven to 400°F.
- Mix the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl or in a large food processor. Whisk or pulse until combined.
- Add the cubed butter and cut into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or your fingers or by pulsing several times in the food processor until coarse crumbs form.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl and mix in the cream until combined.
- Form the dough into 12 large, tall mounds using a large spoon or ice cream scoop and space 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush each biscuit with heavy whipping cream sprinkle the tops with remaining 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until biscuits are golden brown on top.
- While the biscuits are baking, make the whipped cream. Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or a large bowl and an electric hand mixer, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla extract on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble the shortcakes, split the biscuits in half crosswise. Spoon strawberries over the bottom half and top with a dollop of whipped cream. Finish with the top biscuit. Serve immediately. These are great when the biscuits are still warm!