No Egg “Quarantine” Chocolate Cupcakes
Times are tough, and eggs are hard to come by. This cupcake recipe is based on a chocolate cake recipe that was popular during the Great Depression and uses no eggs! They’re still rich and delicious, and they’re actually vegan if you don’t use the frosting. I decided to top these with chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting, so the frosting is definitely not vegan. I also really need a new piping tip because is it just me or do these look like poop emoji cupcakes?
No Egg Chocolate Cupcakes
- Muffin tin
- Stand or hand mixer
For the cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 cup water
For the frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 tablespoon cannabis butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine vanilla, vinegar, oil and water. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until completely combined and no lumps remain.
- Divide batter evenly in the cupcake tin and bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
For the frosting
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese and butters for 1 minute on high speed until completely smooth and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar mixture, vanilla extract, 1 Tablespoon of milk, and beat on medium-high speed until combined and creamy. Continue adding milk a tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.