Cannabis Infused Oreos
I didn’t grow up in an Oreo household. We just never had them around so I never “liked” Oreos. I didn’t discover how delicious they are until much later in life, but I’ve also discovered that I’m allergic to them. I’m actually allergic to soybeans and Oreos (like almost everything else on the planet) has a form of soy used as an emulsifier. Who knew? I don’t know why it took me so long to figure out I could just make my own. My version of Oreos still has two thin, crispy chocolate wafers, but with cannabis infused CREAM CHEESE filling, because cream cheese frosting makes everything better.
Cannabis Infused Oreos
- Baking sheet
- 2" round cookie cutter
- Stand or hand mixer
For the cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cream cheese filling
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons cannabis butter melted
To make the cookies
- In a large bowl, cream together softened butter with the granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift in the cocoa powder, and add the salt and vanilla extract.
- Beat in eggs until fully incorporated.
- Sift in 1 1/2 cups flour and then continue adding flour in small amounts until a stiff dough forms.
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness. If dough is hard to work with, you may chill for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Using a small round cookie cutter (I made giant cookies with a 2 1/2" cutter) cut the dough into individual rounds and place on a large parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Pack together and re-roll out any scraps to cut additional cookies.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove and transfer cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely.
To make the filling
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth and then add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add the melted cannabis butter and beat until light and fluffy.
- Assemble the cookies by spreading a generous scoop of the icing (I used a 1 1/2 tablespoon scooonto one of the cookies and sandwiching it with another. Press down gently to spread the filling to the edges.